About Peoples National Bank
Since officially obtaining a national bank charter in 1909, Peoples National Bank has stood by and stood for the people of Southern Illinois and the St. Louis Metro area.
At our core, we understand that a transaction for us might mean a first car, a family vacation, a first home or many other special things to you. That's why we handle every single transaction, every interaction with the utmost respect and customization. You can rely on customer service that's not only friendly but also reliable.
But we don't stop there — we know that exceptional service is only part of the equation. Your time is precious, so we offer all the banking convenience you need to maximize it. Add more value to your banking experience with some of these standout services and resources.
- Customized Lending — Personal, business, and agriculture loans. We offer a wide variety of financing options to our clients. Whether it be a home loan, business loan or a small personal loan, you can rely on us to provide the best financing option for your needs.
- Convenient Services — Make more time for everything else in your busy life with our suite of time-saving services. Free conveniences, like online banking, mobile banking, debit cards and much more, keep you as tuned in as ever in a fraction of the time.
- Treasury Management — Increase productivity and efficiency without increasing time spent. Treasury Management services, like business online banking, remote deposit capture, ACH origination, positive pay and merchant card services, keep business banking manageable, so you can focus your energy on other priorities.
A Tradition of Strong Traditions
Our time-honored tradition of combining customized customer service and services has forged our beliefs since day one to today:
We believe that...
CUSTOMERS are the primary reason for our existence and that their needs are our principal focus.
PEOPLE are our most valuable assets and their development is critical to our success.
COMMUNITIES in which we operate are the foundation of our growth, and we must contribute to their well being.
Thank You From Peoples National Bank
When you walk through the doors of a Peoples National Bank branch, you can count on the Golden Rule to be in place. We're here for you – your hopes, your dreams, your everyday needs, and we promise to never forget that or take it for granted. We'd like to thank our customers for more than 110 years of loyalty. As a locally owned and operated institution, we promise to uphold the same values and principles that our local communities have come to expect and deserve for the next 100 years and beyond.
The history of Peoples National Bank, chartered as a national bank in 1909, actually began in 1893, when a private firm called Peoples Bank was founded in McLeansboro, Illinois, by John H. Miller. Mr. Miller, a prominent businessman who later served as Speaker of the Illinois House, led the Bank until his death in 1907. In 1909, the trustees reorganized the bank and obtained a national bank charter as Peoples National Bank.
In 1923, Peoples National Bank assumed a portion of the assets and liabilities of the Cloud State Bank, originally organized in 1871 by Chalon Cloud as a private bank under the name Hamilton County Bank. Peoples National Bank also purchased the Cloud State Bank building, which had been built by Chalon Cloud and his father, A.G. Cloud, in 1880-1882.
The distinctive Cloud State Bank building had been designed by the Reid Brothers of Evansville, Indiana, who later designed the famous Hotel del Coronado near San Diego. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, this building is still the home of Peoples National Bank in McLeansboro, and has become a symbol of the long history of the Bank as a strong financial institution.
Almost 80 years later, on August 8, 1988, shareholders Bill Bonan, an attorney, and his brother, Hunt Bonan, formed a bank holding company for the purpose of acquiring 100% of the stock of Peoples National Bank. The holding company was named Market Street Bancshares, Inc. as a reference to the location of their family law firm, Bonan & Bonan, on Market Street in McLeansboro. At the time the holding company was formed, Peoples National Bank assets totaled $50 million. The original Board of Directors of the holding company was comprised of:
- Bill Bonan, Chairman of the Board, Secretary and Treasurer
- Hunt Bonan, President
- Frank Bonan, Attorney at Law - Father of Bill and Hunt Bonan
- Duane Baumann
- Steven Epperson
- Richard Rubenacker
- Bob Prince
- Don York
In 2004, the Bank opened a new 28,000 square foot corporate/operations center in Mt. Vernon, Illinois. This facility acts as the nerve center of the fully digital operating system, which is designed, installed, and maintained by a skilled technical staff. This operations center, with its advanced technical capabilities, has given Peoples National Bank a competitive edge in providing services to customers throughout its growing market area.
While other banks emphasize growth through an aggressive retail sales force, Peoples National Bank has concentrated on developing a highly professional staff that includes attorneys, accountants, and financial planners. Our expertise is in the development of innovative loan, deposit, and trust products with a full array of complementary secondary market sources and specialized governmental loan and guarantee programs.
Peoples National Bank has now been in continuous operation for over 110 years, having survived even the Great Depression. With assets of over $1.4 billion, Peoples National Bank continues to offer financial services that meet the needs of individuals and business owners. Information regarding the early years of Peoples National Bank was summarized from the book The Early History of Peoples National Bank, McLeansboro, Illinois by J. Michael Raley (McLeansboro, Illinois: The Peoples National Bank, 1994).
- Peoples National Bank Charter for McLeansboro location
- Peoples National Bank opened second banking location in McLeansboro at 202 East Randolph Street
- Market Street Bancshares, Inc. holding company formed
- Opened new banking location in Mt. Vernon, Illinois at 413 S. 34th Street
- Purchased former Wayne County Bank & Trust in Fairfield, Illinois at 215 SE Third Street
- Opened new banking location in Harrisburg, Illinois at 445 North Commercial
- Opened new banking location in Salem, Illinois at 102 Cross Creek Boulevard
- Opened in-store branch in Mt. Vernon, Illinois at Wal-Mart Supercenter
- Purchased former Mercantile Bank location in Dahlgren, Illinois at 201 W. Main Street
- Closed in-store branch in Mt. Vernon, Illinois at Wal-Mart Supercenter
- Opened new banking location in Centralia, Illinois at 400 East Broadway
- Opened new banking location in Swansea, Illinois at 4932 Benchmark Centre Drive
- Purchased Missouri Bank Charter
- Opened new banking location in St. Charles, Missouri at #60 Hill Pointe Court
- Opened Corporate/Operations Facility in Mt. Vernon, Illinois at 520 S. 42nd Street
- Opened new banking location in Belleville, Illinois at 6400 West Main and 6525 West Main
- Opened second banking location in Salem, Illinois located at Salem IGA - 422 East Main Street
- Opened new banking location in Vandalia, Illinois at 1611 Veterans Avenue
- Opened new banking location in Marion, Illinois at 2803 17th Street
- Closed St. Charles, Missouri banking location
- Opened new banking location in St. Louis, Missouri at 826 Olive Street
- Opened new banking location in Effingham, Illinois at 1302 Thelma Keller Avenue
- Closed Swansea, Illinois banking location at 4932 Benchmark Centre Drive
- Opened new loan production office in Springfield, Illinois named Cloud Capital, a subsidiary of Peoples National Bank
- Closed second Salem, Illinois banking location at Salem IGA – 422 East Main
- Opened second Harrisburg, Illinois banking location at 511 South Main Street
- Opened new banking location in Benton, Illinois at 208 Public Square
- Closed loan production office in Springfield, Illinois named Cloud Capital, a subsidiary of Peoples National Bank
- Opened new banking location in Clayton, Missouri at 7600 Forsyth Boulevard
- Opened second location in Mt. Vernon, Illinois at 522 Main Street
- Sold Vandalia, Illinois at 1611 Veterans Avenue and Effingham, Illinois at 1302 Thelma Keller Avenue banking locations
- Opened second banking location in Marion, Illinois at 908 East DeYoung Street
- Closed Belleville, Illinois banking location at 6400 West Main
- Opened new banking location in Carmi, Illinois at 180 Commerce Street
- Opened new banking location in St. Louis, Missouri at 3280 Hampton Avenue
- Opened new banking location in Benton, Illinois at 61 Rend Lake Plaza
- Closed Belleville, Illinois banking location at 6525 West Main and St. Louis, Missouri banking location at 826 Olive Street
- Opened new banking location in Centralia, Illinois at 901 West Broadway
- Opened new banking location in West Frankfort, Illinois at 301 East Main Street
- Opened new banking location in Carterville, Illinois at 707 S. Greenbriar Road
- Opened new banking location in Equality, Illinois at 114 North Calhoun
- Closed Fairfield, Illinois banking location at 215 SE Third Street and opened new banking location in Fairfield, Illinois at 1001 W. Delaware
- Opened new banking location in Herrin, Illinois at 2 South Park Avenue
- Opened Commercial Loan Production Office in Town & Country, Missouri at 14323 S. Outer Forty Road, Suite 300 South
- Relocated banking location in Clayton, Missouri from 7600 Forsyth Boulevard to 101 S. Hanley Road, Suite 100
- Opened new banking location in Eldorado, Illinois at 1015 US Route 45 North
- Opened Mortgage Group office in Town & Country, Missouri at 14323 S. Outer Forty Road, Suite 101 South
- Closed Equality, Illinois location at 114 North Calhoun
- Opened Mortgage Group office in Edwardsville, Illinois at 110 Rottingham Ct., Suite A
- Opened new banking location in Town & Country, Missouri at 14323 S. Outer Forty Road, Suite 100 North